ME - Frequently Asked Questions

What's the difference between a ME account and a TAL Card?

With either service, you can borrow the same formats and number of physical items as a local patron.

TAL cards must be obtained in person from the library. In addition, a staff person at a non-Parkland library must manually create an account for you the first time you visit. If you are visiting a university or college library, you must use a TAL card (the ME service is only available for public libraries).

ME accounts are associated with your current library card, and you can sign yourself up online for a ME account at any participating library - either before you visit, or on the spot while you're there. (Minors must still be signed up by a staff person, with the permission of a parent or guardian.)

Are there different physical cards for ME, TAL, and Parkland itself?

No - your Parkland library card functions as a ME card, too. You need only your Parkland card for use in public libraries across the province. If you use academic or government libraries, you will still need a paper TAL card.

Can I still use my card as a TAL Card?

Yes. University and college libraries are not part of the ME initiative, so you will use your Parkland card as a TAL Card at those libraries.

Which libraries are participating in the ME project?

All Alberta public libraries are part of this project except: Andrew, Lamont, La Crete, Fort Vermilion, Willingdon, and Zama.

When I sign up at one library, will all libraries have a ME account for me?

No. On the ME website, you must specify which libraries you want your account information sent to (for privacy reasons, it will not automatically be sent to all of them).

Where do I go to see items I have checked out from other libraries?

When you sign up for a ME account at a non-Parkland library, you are entered as a patron in their system. When you check out items from that library, you can log in online to renew them, see your due dates, etc (just as a local patron would). So, for example, if you check out items from Edmonton Public Library using a ME account, you would log in on the EPL site to view those items.

How do I renew my ME account or update my account information?

You must first renew your Parkland card at a Parkland library. Then, to renew your ME account(s), go to the ME website just as if you were registering for the first time. Your expiry date, address, and phone number will be updated at the libraries you select. Any changes to your PIN number will not be transmitted - you will need to log in directly at the other library's website to change this.